Tuesday, 19 March 2013

Insight

Over the last couple of years I have been learning to listen. It may seem like a simple concept but it's a struggle for me sometimes. I am learning to listen to my body, when it's tired, hungry, not hungry, missing something things like that.
I am listening to my dog. He would rather be outside than in but  barks at everything and it really used to grind on my nerves. Now instead of losing my patience first I look to see if there is someone there, something wrong or if he just wants our attention and since then his barking has decreased by at least half.
I listen to my kids more. What they have to say what they are trying to say and it has put a calm over out house. I still lose my patience and yell more than I should but it's getting better. Our children know so much more than we give them credit for and listening nurtures that and lets them keep their imaginations.

My mother in law is a Native healer and Reiki practitioner, among other things, and Brin really connects with that. She loves learning about and helping prepare medicines, asking questions and being a part of different ceremonies. She seems comfortable and familiar there and it gives her much deserves one on one time that I can't always give her right away.
The other day I left my yoga mat down while I went to get a glass of water and Amaya jumped on it, proclaimed that she was "doing the yoga" and popped her bum up into downward dog. I usually try and save yoga for when they are napping so I can focus better, there are exceptions and Brin and I do it together every once in a while. My two and a half year old did this with no instruction and seemed to know what she was doing.
Audrey has a connection with our dog Kona. He was always preferred her to the other two and will let her jump on him, squeeze him and he just doesn't care. She knows when he isn't feeling well and will go into his room to lay down with him, it's adorable.

While I know some things my girls do are explainable other things baffle me. As a society why do we push this out of children? Why do we want classes full of "normal" kids instead of kids who are confident in who they are and don't have to fight to be themselves?
I don't want my kids to have that "teen angst" that I think comes from parents having a hard time accepting who their child is and can't support the direction their child's life has the potential to go. They have so much more they can do with their lives than be angry and feel misunderstood.
I am learning to get comfortable with the idea and am learning to be who am I am along with my girls. Everyday is a time to reach out and become a better version of yourself, and while it's a struggle for all of us I feel much more fulfilled and happy on the days I can actually accomplish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment