Thursday, 11 April 2013

Tortillas

I have been MIA, sorry, life was overwhelming so I was busy concentrating on the live part. 

I have a secret.
I think it might be blasphemous.
I use butter to make my tortillas instead of oil or lard.
I only make tortillas on a whim and I don't like using oil because I think they get too firm and waxy, I might as well buy them from the store.
Lard. Well I just never think to buy it because I would only use it for tortillas, I have no space for that sort of thing. I think vegetable shortening tastes like cardboard so I would never bother.
I'm pretty nontraditional when it comes to making them, I didn't grow up around my Mexican family and so I missed things like that. I don't always make tortillas but they're flippin' good when I do.

Why do even bother bringing the camera out if I forget to take more than this?

This is what they look like when they become enchiladas. I forgot an in between picture.

I can't remember where I got this recipe, I found it wrote it down then just remembered it. All I did was use butter instead of oil or lard.

Flour Tortillas 
Approx. 2 dozen

3 1/2 cups AP flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
7 Tbs butter
1 cup warm water

1. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
2. Add the butter, break it up with your fingers like you would a pie crust.
3. Add the water and mix it, by hand, then knead it until you get a nice smooth dough. Let it rest for about
   15 minutes
4. Portion the dough out into 1.5oz balls, I weight it, this should give you tortillas that are about 6''across.
5. Keeping any dough you are not rolling covered with a clean towel, roll out each ball of dough as round     and thin as you can get it. (Don't use a press, those are for corn tortillas). Like I said, it should be around 6 inches.
6. Once you've rolled them all out heat a dry skillet,an electric griddle would work too, over medium high heat. Place a tortilla in the pan and once you see small bubble pop up, flip it. On this side it will start to puff, it can get pretty impressive sometimes, when it's toasty brown flip it again, when this side it brown it's DONE.
7. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
8. Pig the heck out.

No comments:

Post a Comment