Friday, 18 May 2012

The Outsider


 I grew up in a big city. A city where you didn't necessarily know your neighbors, some people don't like looking at each other for some reason, but you knew you could go to them if you needed help. It was what I knew and I thought I would have a hard time adjusting to moving to the country. Everyone, including me, thought I would hate it and get home sick within the first week. Luckily I don't hate it, I really, really like living down here. It's quiet, the sky is clear, I can hear frogs a block away and everyone waves.

Sadly the downside is that when you move to a small town you are an outsider. Sure, there are people you hit it off with and welcome you with open arms but you're still an outsider. Your family hasn't lived in the area for ninety years, your kids weren't born together, you don't know the background story to every situation and it sucks.
If you have a little run in with one person they will remind you that you aren't from around there and you will not come in and disrupt what they have going on. It's easy to be overlooked and ignored in social situations. I try very hard to be open, I'm not going to like everyone but I'm not going to be a jerk either. It's hard when you express yourself once and you have to start from scratch.
Sometimes I wish it was easier to fit in, as easy as it has been for B. It hasn't been smooth sailing for her the whole time, but six year-olds haven't developed the habits us mothers have.
I'm really hoping I get better at this. It's been almost two years and sometimes I feel like I belong but 70% of the time I feel like the black sheep.
I miss my old friends today......


1 comment: