Monday, 13 January 2014

Where are our priorities?



 A friend of mine shared this video with me a couple of days ago. It's a 26 minute video but the gist is that while the West is seen as being the happiest, healthiest and wealthiest it has ever been there is a serious disconnect. We put so much time into collecting wealth, thinking it will make us happier or give us more freedom, we are losing ourselves and the democracy we once held so dear is deteriorating. We are disconnected from each other, our family and what makes us happy.
Why has wealth become so important and being a community so unimportant. Since the 50 random acts of kindness challenge started and I have been more aware of giving I have noticed I can make myself happier, just by smiling at someone. It seems that a life spent accumulating and hording instead of sharing is meaningless. Why do we always need more and more? Why are we never happy with what we have? Why is greed held on such a pedestal?

This year I am hoping to move toward running our house more simply and giving my kids memories based on nature instead of material things and places. Honestly this will be a bit of a challenge for me and I will have to shift my mindset, and let go of a lot of things my ego thinks are important (though my consciousness knows it isn't).

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment