Friday, 24 January 2014

What Do We Have

This may come as a surprise but there is something that hold my heart as much as the Rockies. It is art. I don't always understand understand it or like it but someone has put everything into it.
 Paintings, pencil sketches, sculpture, music, poetry, all forms. It is how we tell our history, relay our emotions and touch the hearts of countless strangers. The severe cuts that have been made to arts funding in public schools breaks my heart. I will never understand how a group of people came to decide that music and art are less important than math. Art creates connections and confidence that children cannot get anywhere else.
What do we have if we lose this important part of our diverse cultures.

A few years ago I went to the Glenbow Museum to see an exhibition on ancient Roman and Greek art. There was a statue of a woman that I will never forget. She was cloaked in a thin veil and the realism was astounding.The veil over her hand was so perfect that you would never have known it wasn't real. I can see it in my head while I type this. It was perfection hundreds of years after it began as a thought in someone's mind.

There are tons of articles online about the importance of art education for everyone not just kids and I encourage everyone to research it.
The real reason all of this popped into my head was because we FINALLY made it to The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and the song during the closing credits pulled at me heartstrings. It's Ed Sheeran singing "I See Fire."
There is heart in this and I could listen to it all day. It reminded me how much I appreciate art and the people who fight for it.


 

Good night!!
P.S. Why do men from the UK sound like this?! Swoon.

2 comments:

  1. the first few lines of this song, when its just his voice, wow, gives me crazy goosebumps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite magical. I could listen to him and Damien Rice all day long and never get tired of them.

      Delete