Friday was grocery shopping day, it's usually the most painful part of my home making. When hubby isn't home I have to take at least the twins but usually all three girls with me, sometimes we all go. Brin had school this odd Friday so it was only the two smallest babes this time. They were pretty well behaved, the only challenge with them was Miss Amaya's potty training. It's been a couple of weeks and she's doing great but it's a pain to have to run and find a bathroom the second she says she needs to go, so of course I forgot to pick up one of those small potties for traveling.The real problem was the crazy people who felt that they were more important than everyone else. People were pushing, shoving, scowling, huffing and puffing. Maddness.
Luckily, when I got home I had most of a roast chicken leftover from the night before, which was my best roast chicken ever. I also made some maple roasted carrots and parsnips that I found on Alaska from Scratch. I don't normally like cooked carrots, or maple for that matter but I could eat this everyday and be very happy. The girls even ate it and two of them usually refuse to look at carrots.
Make them, it will change your view on life (or underrated vegetables).
Maple Roasted Carrots and Parsnips
recipe from Alaska from Scratch
1lb whole carrots, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
1lb parsnips, peeled and sliced into matchsticks
3T olive oil
2T pure maple syrup
1T whole grain mustard
1t dry thyme
sea salt & freshly cracked black pepper
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with foil. Spray the foil with non-stick spray.
2.Add
the prepared carrots and parsnips to a bowl. In a smaller bowl, stir
together the oil, maple syrup, mustard and thyme until well combined.
Drizzle most of the mixture over the vegetables, reserving about 1/4 of
it for later. Toss the vegetables to coat and spread them out into a
single layer on the baking sheet. Season generously with sea salt and
freshly cracked black pepper.
3.Roast
for 15 minutes. Stir and turn the vegetables. Roast another 15-20
minutes or until tender and caramelized on the edges. Transfer to a
serving dish and drizzle with the remaining maple mustard mixture.
Sprinkle over some fresh thyme if you have some.Serve.
No comments:
Post a Comment