Thursday, 5 April 2012

We Love food But...

I'm not one to follow diet trends, I have better things to do then spend all my money on those types of things. Unfortunately three out of the the five of us have gluten sensitivities and I feel that because it's a majority in our house I need to go with it. None of it is a huge deal on it's own, but was enough to experiment to find a common denominator.
I have found that one thing that made a big difference was making our own bread. Amongst the preservatives in commercially made whole wheat bread one of the first ingredients is gluten. It's put it to make the bread softer and have a texture similar to white bread, but there is a lot of it. One slice is enough to have Baby B screaming for hours, which really made me wonder what the ratio of gluten to flour is, since she's fine with the bread I make. This is the recipe I use for our bread:

2/3 cup warm milk
1/2 cup honey
A bit less than 1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 cups warm water
2 packets (4 1/2 teaspoons) of yeast

Pour it in a large bowl and let it sit for a few minutes, just to make sure the yeast is good to go. It will start to get puffy. I use a Kitchen Aid mixer to do this so I just use that bowl.

7-8 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt 

Turn the mixer on low and start adding the flour. I usually add the salt somewhere in the middle. Add enough flour so that the dough is soft but pulling away from the bowl into a ball.
when it's in a ball pour in a teeny bit more oil and roll the dough in it to cover the whole ball. Cover with plastic and let it double in size.
Once it's doubled punch it down and divide it in two and pop into loaf pans that have either been lined with parchment paper, aluminum foil or are just really well oiled. (If the pans are lined you can get away with spraying with non stick spray. You need a lot of oil if they aren't lined.) Preheat your oven to 350F. Cover the dough and let it rise again until it's just barely rising over the sides. Pop it in the oven for 37 minutes, when it's done turn it out right away, remove the liner if you've used it, and let it cool on a rack completely.

Note: I've used 1/4 cup agave instead of  honey and it worked pretty well. The crust is a bit more crisp but it still tastes pretty good.

 We're doing well by just cutting back so I hope I never have to cut it out entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment